April 08, 2008

Cancer...

I started this blog in December of 2004 when I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's. I don't write too much about it anymore because I have a 14 month old keeping me preoccupied with all of my time but occasionally it slips into my mind. What if it returns?

The scary part for Hodgkin's during relapses is patients must undergo a Stem Cell Transplant. Due to this when Addison was born we banked her cord blood. The patient undergoing a transplant has high dose chemo which basically kills the cancer plus the patients immune system. After the transplant you must redo all of your immunizations. Then the patients stem cells which were taken prior to the high dose chemo are administered back to the patient during the roughest 2 weeks. All this is done during a long hospital stay but it usually is the best bet for a cure however there are the rare refractory Hodgkin's patients who are not cured and go on to clinical trials.

I do think about this but I know what Lord has promised in Jeremiah 29:11. Please, pray for Adrienne, Jessica, Bekah, Mike, Darcy, and Steve. All these wonderful people are being treated for Hodgkin's either for the 1st time, 2nd time, or even 3rd and 4th time. They are fighters. I don't even know these people but I do follow their story. Also, check out the Hodgkin's Forum for others.

1 comment:

Cord Blood Bank said...

Great life saving blog.Cancer is a curse for the human life so awareness is most important for this.I hope this is a fruitful way of awareness so I salute your thinking.Keep it up.